Sunday, August 31, 2014

Job # 3 - Word Whisperer


       The first stylistic this book uses is a flashback, which was on the first page of the book, when Artie (one of the main character) said "It was summer, I remember. I was ten or eleven...." A flashback is a scene taking place before the present time in the narrative. So when Artie says that sentence, it is telling the reader that a flashback is starting, in other words, the story from the past.

       Another stylistic technique is on page 132, when Mala said "He has hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank, and he lives like a pauper!..."this is a simile. A simile is a figure of speech in which two unlike things are explicitly compared. By saying that Vladek, lives like a pauper, I think Mala means that even though Vladek is rich, he refuses to use money on everything, as if  he were a pauper.

      The third stylistic technique I found was on page 93. When Mala said, "I really don't know how long I can take him. I really don't." She repeated "I really don't", twice in her sentence. This is called a repetition. A repetition is the act of repeating what has been already said.

       The fourth stylistic technique this book used is on page 158, when Vladek kept on telling Artie, "Its just not to find anymore. " Instead of telling him that he had burned the diaries in the first place. This is called an allusion. An allusion is a passing or casual reference, an incidental mention of something, either directly or by implication.




I chose this image because a four leaf clover represents the word "lucky". And I think this connects with the main character Vladek, because his life was like a four leaf clover. He was extremely lucky to have survived during the war.






     I chose this image because this book interestingly describes the characters as a mouse. Instead of telling a story from a normal humans point of view, it tells it from the mouses point of view. And I think this is the main element of the book. It is what makes the book interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment